All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 13:32:18 

Hello pilots,

I am new to all this. Please note my plan, before answering me:

1) I am and will remain a tame pilot, no inverted, no 3D
2) I am training myself on the flight-sim
3) At this stage, all that I plan is to learn to hover
4) When I will feel confident, I will fly in front of myself at no further than 20-30 meters away
5) I will NOT fly any higher than maybe 15 meters...

My heli is a Trex-600E converted to FBL DFC. I will be using my original main rotor blades, I didn't see any need to get new FBL blades.

So, Do I need to think about setting up rescue mode or any of the fancy things, now when I just want to learn to hover? I will be at 2-3 meters in front of me...

After i finished step-9 on the wizard, I set my pitch travel on my Tx to : -5, 0 , + 9. Is it OK or will the Spirit get confused because I did that?

What is the next step I need to do to start hovering? Or nothing at all?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 14:30:38 

alex4orly wrote:
...So, Do I need to think about setting up rescue mode or any of the fancy things, now when I just want to learn to hover? I will be at 2-3 meters in front of me....

pls do not take me wrong, but a beginner trying to hover a 600 (built without much experience?) just 2-3 meters "in front of me" could easily end in a candidature for Darwin Award. you should never get that close to a running heli of that size... a simple pilot error or technical mistake could hurt you heavily or even kill you. maybe you have any experienced heli pilot to help you with the first flights?

to the rest: rescue is always a good idea... esp. for beginners when they loose control and/or orientation. and when they do not forget to push 'Rescue' button. can save a lot of bugs and could help in accelerating the learning curve.

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 15:30:25 
Site Admin

Hello,

you can set Pitch Curve in your radio as you wish.
Once it is setup with Linear Curve (-100 - 0 - 100%) you can change it later in any way in your radio.

Probably you can use Coaxial mode for Hovering. This might be much easier than normally. On the other hand it will be different from a simulator.
It will fly like a drone.

If you wish I can tell you how to set it up.

I think other features are not important at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 15:35:54 

Spirit does not like FB blades as the weighting is different to FBL blades

I converted a Trex 6oo to DFC and the cyclic oscillated badly until I changed the blades to FBL

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 16:26:57 

Alex,

I don't see any harm in setting up Stabi, even if you don't use it. You can have a switch for it and if you're about to crash use it.

As for what else you need to think about, do you know how to verify that your tail servo and cyclic servos are all compensating correctly when you tilt the heli on the bench? This is critical otherwise your heli will end up a twisted mess before it gets into the air.

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 23:12:12 

HeliMLM wrote:
alex4orly wrote:
...So, Do I need to think about setting up rescue mode or any of the fancy things, now when I just want to learn to hover? I will be at 2-3 meters in front of me....

pls do not take me wrong, but a beginner trying to hover a 600 (built without much experience?) just 2-3 meters "in front of me" could easily end in a candidature for Darwin Award. you should never get that close to a running heli of that size... a simple pilot error or technical mistake could hurt you heavily or even kill you. maybe you have any experienced heli pilot to help you with the first flights?

to the rest: rescue is always a good idea... esp. for beginners when they loose control and/or orientation. and when they do not forget to push 'Rescue' button. can save a lot of bugs and could help in accelerating the learning curve.

Thanks for the feedback
1) 2-3 meters I mant - height.. I am standing at least 8-10 meters away from it of course
2) Will help if you can teach me - step-by-step how to set rescue

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 23:16:42 

ZeXx86 wrote:
Hello,

you can set Pitch Curve in your radio as you wish.
Once it is setup with Linear Curve (-100 - 0 - 100%) you can change it later in any way in your radio.

Probably you can use Coaxial mode for Hovering. This might be much easier than normally. On the other hand it will be different from a simulator.
It will fly like a drone.

If you wish I can tell you how to set it up.

I think other features are not important at the moment.

1) Of course, I will change my pitch curve, on the radio
2) I will take gladly any advice, have no idea what is Coaxial mode (I assume it is like a heli with two counter rotation main blades?) Please understand, most of the terms here are going over my head - YES PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SET IT.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 23:19:48 

andy6409 wrote:
Spirit does not like FB blades as the weighting is different to FBL blades

I converted a Trex 6oo to DFC and the cyclic oscillated badly until I changed the blades to FBL

Andy,

I trust your comment and happy for any advice.
The problem we are all facing now - is COVID-19
I have several orders stuck in overseas airports, the most critical one - new FBL swashplate in California since 22nd of June...

So, ordering now anything is a bit pointless, but I have it now on my to-do list

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 23:23:31 

xoexoe wrote:
Alex,

I don't see any harm in setting up Stabi, even if you don't use it. You can have a switch for it and if you're about to crash use it.

As for what else you need to think about, do you know how to verify that your tail servo and cyclic servos are all compensating correctly when you tilt the heli on the bench? This is critical otherwise your heli will end up a twisted mess before it gets into the air.

Hello,

To show how much the terms are foreign to me - is Stabi the same as Rescue mode? Otherwise, what is it and how do I set it?
Yes, I checked and the setup responds on the swashplate correctly when I tilt it right, left , aft or forward.

I do need help to set the Tail rotor in to HH mode, this is very importent - but have no idea how to set it.

Will appreciate any guidance
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 07. Jul 2020 23:31:40 

Stabi is a special Spirit phrase that is short for stabilization. The Stabi feature of Spirit can do one of two things: it can either cause the heli to fly in a drone-like manner so that if you release the sticks the heli will become horizontal/level, or it can cause the heli to go into Rescue, meaning it applies positive pitch so you don’t crash.

If your tail is compensating when you yaw the heli, then you’re already in HH mode. (Can someone back me up on this?) To enable rate mode, you give the Spirit unit negative gyro command from your transmitter. However, that negative gyro command won’t enable rate mode if you have already enabled Stabi.