It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024 10:38:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed 04. Dec 2019 1:13:00 

Hi,

I am just wondering how reliable the Hobbywing ESC temp reading is (and also the A reading) that is being sent to the Spirit?

For example, on a slightly warm day, doing some moderate flying, I am getting occasional alerts of a 95 degrees Celsius ESC temp.

I read somewhere that Hobbywing ESCs should not exceed 80 degrees Celsius?

I'm also wondering if the current (A) data that Hobbywings send out to Spirit is accurate. I've seen some crazy readings (that I'd NEVER see from Castle ESCs) like 246A on a 6S heli! Castle ESCs also don't get this hot, according to their logs.

Which makes me wonder if the HW data can be trusted?!

Thanks for any advice,

Rob

PostPosted: Wed 04. Dec 2019 2:32:18 

Also, I just noticed something else. MY Trex 800, using the Spektrum integration with a Spirit Pro said that the current max was 228A. It's never been this high so I checked the Castle logs on the ESC itself. Max current was only 70.9A, so now I'm not sure what to believe?!

PostPosted: Wed 04. Dec 2019 10:26:19 
Site Admin

Hello,

Spirit unit is just receiving and retransmitting the data.
We can't do nothing about accuracy but this is what ESC measured.

It is very dependent on how the ESC is measuring the variables, One ESC can make averages and one can show a total peak from the actual moment.

So both can measure correctly but interpretation could be different. So manufacturer could give you some more details.
Data transmission from HobbyWing is all digital so it can be trusted more than from Castle actually. But how precise are chips that are doing the measurement is other case.

PostPosted: Wed 04. Dec 2019 20:37:03 

I thought this was this case, but I was hoping maybe there was some setting that I had missed or setup incorrectly. However, this still doesn't explain Spektrum and Castle telemetry saying 228A max when the actual ESC logs themselves say 70.9A max? So, from what you're saying, Castle transmitted the value of 228A, even though it recorded only 70.9A itself?

I don't think I trust any of these values (which is not your fault, obviously!). Even just plugging the Hobbywing program box into an ESC after a flight shows completely bogus current levels.

PostPosted: Fri 24. Jan 2020 6:48:40 

Just a bit more info, I now have a Goblin 700 with a HW200A ESC that is barely warm to the touch externally after a flight and the telemetry is saying in excess of 100 C for the ESC and this is only on some warm-up flights after my maiden. I am going to email Hobbywing about this however, they have never answered any of my emails before so I'm not holding my breath for a reply :)

PostPosted: Fri 24. Jan 2020 8:29:39 
Site Admin

Hello,

the electronics is not measuring temperature at the FAN or place where you can touch with finger.
In theory it might be around 150°C without any issue.

I am afraid HobbyWing will not help nor is responsible for whatever you can see with telemetry as they are not providing any support for this and related things. All this stuff is only as bonus and they are not promising anything like this.

If the temperature would be too high the ESC will warn about it.