It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024 19:04:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon 13. Apr 2020 18:45:56 

Hello,

I have just updatet my Spirit Pro from Firmware 2.80 to 3.00 - It works great but now I have by activating Rescue a not leveled swashplate - there is some roll and nick in it. If I correct the level of the heli (by hand) till the swashplate is leveled again the heli will dive in the ground direction - My question is how can I adjust that, that the swashplate in Rescue is leveled again ? In the meanwihle I have changed back to firmware 2.80 where the rescue works perfect -

Best regards
Mattes

Attachments:
Image_01.jpg
Image_01.jpg [ 19.03 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 13. Apr 2020 19:05:49 
Site Admin

Hello,

the swashplate should be level, when unit is level.
If model is not level, it will be not level too.
This is different from old version, because it was not sensing the level with respect to ground in that way.

If you are confident unit is levelled with respect to ground, please press the following shortcut in the Spirit Settings:
CTRL+ALT+U.

Please note, some models have a tilted skids. So the model must be tilted so that unit is really level - parallel to your table or simply horizontally.

This shortcut is for calibrating accelerometer which might be needed in rare cases.

After the calibration it will be fixed permanently.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Apr 2020 19:33:44 

Hello,

thanks for your reply - the modell is an Goblin Fireball - If I will setup my helis (modells) I have an selfmade device (its simple but it works) where I can adjust the levels in roll and nick direction - I adjust it so that the mainrotor shaft is leveled in both directions (roll and nick). On this device I do all may adjustments till I am ready with the setup - Of course later the table or the other surfaces are maybe not leveled, maybe the skids ar not leveled too, I don't know - For me the only question is : works the rescue secure and will it level the heli like in the firmware 2.80 ? I don't want to crash my heli -

Best regards
Mattes

PostPosted: Mon 13. Apr 2020 20:29:07 
Site Admin

I dont understand what device you are using.

The unit must be simply put at the mounting position where it should be supposed.

If you are configuring unit as per manual then everything will be ok.

Setup is same as for 2.8.

Of course new rescue system is more secure. Swashplate must be level when unit is level.

PostPosted: Mon 13. Apr 2020 21:17:21 

Hello,

of course the flybarless is putted on the mountig position where it should be - The flybarless is also aligned to all axis how it should be, there is nothing wrong -
The device is only a tool to put the heli on and adjust it so that the mainshaft is perpendicular (roll and nick) - I have no influence how good or bad the mountig platform for the FBL is, thats given from the developer of the heli, as well as the skids are tilted or not-

If the heli (on the table) is not in rescue mode the swashplate is leveled (pitch up or down), but if I hit the rescue button the swashplate tilts, this as additional information -

I have noticed another thing - My table is not leveled, but the compensation of the swashplate should than be to the opposite side, right ?
The correction of the swashplate is in the same direction how the table is not leveled for example if the table tilts to the right, the compensation tilts the swashplate also in this direction but the swashplate should tilt to the opposite site - sorry that I'm annoying you -

Best Regards
Mattes

PostPosted: Tue 14. Apr 2020 7:12:16 
Site Admin

Hello,

rescue compensation must work always in the same direction as a normal flight mode.
Difference is just that it is keeping horizontal position all the time.

You can record a video if you are unsure.

PostPosted: Tue 14. Apr 2020 8:59:10 

Good morning !
I am at this time not sure if I can ignore this behavior of the FBL in rescue mode - I give you another example, the heli stands on the table, the motor is in hold mode (not spinning) then I give max. positive pitch the swashplate is leveled - in this status I hit the rescue button, now the swashplate tilts a little to the right (roll) and a little to the front (nick pushing) -
If I can ignore that, why did you mention that the swashplate should remain horizontal when rescued? Thats what me make unsure -
Thanks a lot for your reply -

Best Regards
Mattes

PostPosted: Tue 14. Apr 2020 9:28:00 
Site Admin

If you have analogue or a digital level, place it at the Spirit unit and move the model so that there is no inclination from 0° in both axes.

In that case, when you engage the Rescue mode, the swashplate must be perfectly level + going up.

If model (unit) is hovever tilted with respect to ground, swashplate can't be leveled - this behavior was different in previous versions.
Now unit can sense always absolute position with respect to earth. So if model has tilted landing skids, table is not level or ground is not level, swashplate must be tilted to compensate this (to the opposite side).

Simply tilt the model to some side and swashplate should move to the opposite side, it will look like it is keeping horizont with respect to ground.

PostPosted: Tue 14. Apr 2020 13:20:16 

Hi
I also upgraded to FW 3.0 and noticed some new behavior: strong drift towards one side and forward. I suspect the new method of leveling may require some additional adjustments. I apologize for re-iterating the issue of orientation but may be it is good to clear up things.

I fly an align 300x (small heli). It has inclined skids. Standing om the table (level) the nose points down by 5°. I mounted the spirit pro vertical 0° and to the right side and took care that the sides of the unit are parallel / ortogonal to the main shaft (not parallel to the table!). I also mounted the geolink on the boom which is orthogonal to the main shaft. That implies the geolink itself is also inclined about 5° forward (because of the inclination of the skids). So the geolink and the spirit unit are both orthogonal to the main shaft but not parallel to the ground.

In the settings of the geolink I correct this (mounting orientation) by putting the heli level (main shaft exactly vertical) and hitting the button "set temporarily zero". Then when the heli rests again on its skids I read the angles of inclination in the geo settings as x-parallel -5° and Y-parallel -1.5°. The system is very sensitive so slight change in position also reflects in these angles, but generally they have these values.

My setup implies that at start up 1) the main shaft leans forward (nose down) and the spirit unit and geolink are also inclined by the same angle to the ground (assuming ground is horizontal).

As stated when flying with the new FW 3.0 compared to 2.8 I noticed very strong drift to the side and forward. At the landing and after switching off the engine and letting go of the cyclic with the rotor still spinning the heli inclined to one side and the blades hit the ground. No real damage luckily because motor was already switched off.

So my questions (sorry to be so long)

1) on a heli which, when resting on a horizontal plane, leans forward, is it ok to mount the spirit unit and the geolink both parallel / orthogonal with respect to the main shaft (rather than horizontal with respect to the ground)
2) if the heli leans forward on its skids, is it ok to compensate the angle of leaning forward in "mounting orientation at the x-parallel" with a negative angle; the point here is that my unit is mounted vertically and the compensation angle is in x-orientation
3) would it be better in my case (heli leaning forward on its skids) to stick with FW 2.8?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

PostPosted: Tue 14. Apr 2020 13:55:50 
Site Admin

Hi,

first from all - there should be no modification in unit mounting. It is completely same as for 2.8 or any other version.

When model is flying, it is not making any difference whether there are inclined skids or not. In other words unit should be always parallel with rotor blades.
Same apply for GeoLink with any previous update.

The only difference is, the swashplate will be tilted, if landing skids or any other surface where it is laying is inclined.
So the unit is acting as a protractor basically.
Swashplate shouldn't be tilted always only slightly even with inclined landing gears, when laying at the ground.
Holding it by rotor head - if CoG is correct - swashplate should be perfectly level. If not, Accelerometer must be calibrated to teach unit where is exactly horizontal plane. This might be needed in less than 0,1% cases. For this purpose there is special shortcut.

Swashplate must be in the same inclination before and after flight if model is standing at the same surface and same angle. If not, then it is likely some basic settings such as unit Position is wrong.

1) Yes, this is the only correct way.
2) No, no compensation should be used. Either for GeoLink or Spirit unit. It should be simply parallel with rotor blades or perpendicular to the main shaft.
3) No, new firmware should be much better in whatever case.